Hit and run car accidents

hit and run car accident

Hit and run car Wrecks

What is a hit and run car wreck?

A hit and run car wreck is usually where a driver hits your vehicle and then drives off.  Another common situation is where a driver hits your parked vehicle when you aren’t there and then drives away without leaving any information.  Unfortunately, hit and run car crashes are fairly common.  In fact, about 1,600 deaths each year involve drivers who fled the scene of the wreck.

What should you do if you are involved in a hit and run car wreck?

If you are involved in a hit and run car wreck, you should gather as much information as possible about the driver.  This information should include specifics like:

  1. license plate number
  2. vehicle model
  3. vehicle make
  4. color of the vehicle
  5. approximate time of the wreck
  6. location of the accident
  7. the damage to your vehicle
  8. any other details you can gather about the car or its driver

Then you should call the police.  Give the officer the information you have collected.  If you are the driver of the other car in the wreck, ask to have an officer come to the scene.  This will give you the chance to fill out a report that will help in your insurance claim.  Also, filing an accident report will keep the other driver from saying it was you who fled the scene of the crash.  Lastly, file a claim with your insurance company if you were injured or your vehicle was damaged.  You may want to contact a car wreck attorney to help with this process.

Will my insurance cover a hit and run car wreck?

In most cases, your uninsured motorist insurance should help pay for the costs of a hit and run car wreck.  For this reason, you should make sure your uninsured motorist coverage is sufficient.  In Arkansas, insurance companies must give drivers the opportunity to purchase uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.  However, Arkansas drivers frequently waive these insurance types when they buy insurance.  This saves the driver some money initially but leaves them vulnerable after a car wreck.  We suspect that many drivers waive these types of car insurance without fully understanding how useful they are in paying for car wreck damage and injuries.  So, make sure your uninsured motorist coverage is sufficient to pay for vehicle damage and injuries caused by hit and run car wrecks.


Kirk Joyce is a general practice attorney in Northwest Arkansas with experience in personal injury law and criminal defense. If you would like to meet with him to discuss your case, please contact the Joyce Law Firm to schedule a consultation.

Joyce Law Firm was founded in 2002 by Kirk Joyce. Each of the attorneys at the Joyce Law Firm focus in specific areas of law, including, but not limited to: personal injury, immigration, criminal defense, family law, and business law. Contact the Joyce Law Firm today at 479-442-5577. More about Joyce Law Firm